(Includes the Video Recording of the Live Masterclass + Masterclass Materials)
This masterclass will provide you with unique insight
into how today’s hitmakers lyrically craft their songs!
While a stellar melody is an incredibly important component of any pop hit, it’s only half of the equation when it comes to hit song vocals.
Without an intriguing narrative, engaging lyrics and a methodically structured rhyme scheme, a song will never realize its full potential.
This masterclass will introduce you to a very unique approach to writing and optimizing your lyrics and rhymes!
Using the Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, the Five Pillars of Hit Song Lyrics, and an array of in-depth case studies, this masterclass provides you with unique insight into how today’s hitmakers lyrically craft their songs.
This masterclass covers:
- Narrative Formulation
- Narrative Structure
- Opening Lines
- The A.I.D.E. Principle (Action, Imagery, Detail Devices, Emotion)
- Lyrical Embellishments
- A.P.M. (Audience Participation Moments)
- Rhyme Structure
You'll gain a new lens through which to objectively assess your lyrics and rhymes for maximum impact, techniques to write lyrics that connect and resonate with your target audiences, and tools to channel your creativity into songs that can compete at the highest levels.
You'll learn how to:
- Create a strategically structured narrative designed to keep the listener engaged from start to finish
- Heighten memorability through methodically structured rhyme schemes
- Bolster the impact of your storyline through the use of the A.I.D.E. principle (action, imagery, detail, emotion)
- Strategically use attention-grabbing opening lines, clever lyricism and nonsense lyrics to take engagement to the next level
- Write lyrics that connect with both your target audience AND the artist
- Objectively assess your lyrics and rhymes for strengths and weakness
- And much more!
Leading music programs such as Berklee College of Music, Thornton School of Music, Frost School of Music, NYU and many others are using Hit Songs Deconstructed materials in their songwriting curriculums.
Founding Director of Popular Music Program
USC Thornton School of Music
Director of Popular Music Pedagogy
"The depth, detail and level of care that Hit Songs Deconstructed exercises in their song analysis is something I want my students to aspire to. I am using their analysis techniques as a benchmark for them to apply when analyzing songs."
This masterclass will give you direct access to David Penn, the person who developed the Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, and you'll have plenty of time to ask him your questions!
"This was one of the most pivotal online classes I have ever taken. I have been writing songs for years and, although I focus on the story and the method of rhymes, I had no idea what I was missing."
Wendy Elston Davis // Writer/Publisher
"The amount of in-depth analysis is staggering. It's really opened my eyes to the tricks and techniques needed to craft current hits."
Rich Sice // Songwriter
"Brilliant analysis of hit songs with a scientific foundation!"
Ms. Tamara Eileen Galloway // Songwriter
“Hit Songs Deconstructed has really pushed my music to a competitive level. The instructors are at the top of their game, detailed, and cover absolutely everything that's happening in current, charting successful music.”
JULAPINK // Pop Recording Artist
"These are not just songwriting tips and tricks; these workshops are a masterclass in hit songwriting."
George Haughton //
"I can't stress enough how important HSD is to any serious
professional hit songwriter."
Hilton Wright II //
Frequently Asked Questions
Songwriters, producers, and music industry professionals who are or have the goal of being involved in today’s mainstream music scene.
A solid foundation in the basic craft of songwriting and music theory is highly recommended.
We focus on Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hits.
Hit Songs Deconstructed masterclasses feature a combination of audio examples, graphs, charts, commentary, and, in some cases, Logic Pro sessions to illustrate principles and techniques.
Active listening exercises are at the core our masterclasses, so make sure you watch the masterclass with high quality audio/headphones.
- The video recording of the live 3 hour masterclass
- The PDF of the masterclass presentation deck
- A Spotify playlist with all the songs referenced during the presentation
- A proprietary step-by-step process and checklist to evaluate your melody and hooks (sold individually for $149)
You will have unlimited access to the video and masterclass materials.