HSD in the News:
Unparalleled insight into the craft and trends behind today's hit songs.
Utilized by songwriters, producers, publishers, labels, and other music industry professionals, our proprietary data and analysis help subscribers hone their craft, make strategic songwriting and production decisions, spot trends, benchmark songs, and stay ahead of the curve in a fast-changing musical landscape.
The Hit Song Deconstructed Report:
The Inner-Workings of Hit Songs
Each report includes a combination of commentary, charts, graphs, and notation. Among the many areas covered are song structure, energy, genres and influences, instruments and accompaniment, harmony, vocal production and melody, lyrics, rhymes, narrative, Top 10 benchmarking and more.
Each report also features a companion downloadable Logic PRO X Project with the correct meter, tempo and song arrangement displayed as empty MIDI regions for each instrument.
The IMMERSION Searchable Database:
Analytics You Won't Find Anywhere Else
Updated weekly as songs enter the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10, this robust, fully interactive database houses proprietary data for the compositional characteristics of those songs, as well as related industry data for songwriters, artists, producers and record labels.
Searches include the ability to search for compositional and industry trends, find songs with very specific compositional characteristics, and compare compositional characteristics across songs, songwriters, artists, producers, and record labels.
Every song in the database includes a dedicated page detailing its key compositional characteristics related to genres and influences, lead vocal, lyrics and song structure, as well as other useful information such chart position, links to lyrics, the official video and more.
Hit Song Deconstructed Videos:
Narrated and Visualized in Logic Pro X
Videos are led by Hit Songs Deconstructed co-founder, David Penn, they are approximately one hour long, and each section is visualized with its arrangement in Logic Pro X.
The Quarterly Trend Report:
A snapshot of Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 Trends
Among the many topics covered are compositional trends such as genres, influences, instruments, tempo, key and song structure characteristics. On the industry side, we cover an array of artist, writer and label trends such as chart performance (staying power, placement, and prominence), single artist vs. featured artists, songwriter/artist collaborations and more.
What People Are Saying About Hit Songs Deconstructed
Songwriters, composers, engineers, and producers are utilizing Hit Songs Deconstructed to:
- Hone their craft by studying proven current hits.
- Continually update their toolbox with the latest writing and production techniques being used in today’s hits as they become available.
- Understand WHY today’s hits connect with such a wide audience.
- Gain insight into how to successfully channel unique creativity into commercially viable songs.
- Develop an instinctual approach to writing songs for mainstream success.
- Make more targeted pitches to music libraries and production houses who are looking for current sounding music and/or sound-alike’s for spots.
- Give themselves an edge in a very competitive music industry.
Music industry professionals, such as publishers, labels, music libraries, production houses are using Hit Songs Deconstructed to:
- Make informed decisions in a fast-paced musical landscape.
- Stay ahead of the curve by spotting current, evolving, and waning trends.
- Supplement sales, streaming, engagement, and radio airplay data with insight into the compositional trends behind those numbers.
- Gain insight into what current hit songs have in common – and what is setting them apart.
- Identify the key ingredients that are making current chart-topping songs “tick.”
- Improve communication between creative executives / A&R’s and writers.
- Quantify gut feelings for hit songwriting trends with factual data.
- Benchmark new songs and artists against those with a proven track record.
Sign up to receive the HSD Wire, it’s FREE!
The HSD Wire
Exclusive monthly content from Hit Songs Deconstructed.