(Includes Video Recording of the Live Masterclass + Masterclass Materials)
Discover the Science and Patterns Behind Today's Hits
This unique approach to studying today's hits has changed the way countless songwriters and producers are thinking about melody and hook writing!
What does just about every chart-topping hit have in common? Super-infectious melodies and hooks, of course!
This one-of-a-kind masterclass provides you with unique insight into the patterns behind today’s most infectious melodies, vocal and instrumental hooks, and the compositional, structural and delivery techniques that make them so effective.
Using the acclaimed Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, over the course of three hours, and with over 40 recent Hot 100 Top 10 hit case studies we cover:
- The K.I.S.S. ME principle (what’s at the heart of most hit song melodies)
- In-section melodic part ordering and syllable structure
- Cross-section melodic development and familiarity techniques
- A.M.P.s (Alternating Melodic Patterns)
- E.O.L.A.s (End of Line Accentuators)
- Focal Vocal Hook “dressing” techniques
- Nano Vocal Hook techniques
- Instrumental hook techniques including foundational, melodic and “hip hop beat” hooks
- Hook Arrangement
- Motifs and hook foreshadowing
- Prosody (ensuring that all of the song’s characteristics come together to create a unified vibe and elicit emotion)
- And more!
After taking this masterclass, your approach to melody and hook writing will never be the same!
- You'll learn how to:
- Turn infectious melodies into standout vocal and instrumental hooks
- Strategically arrange your melodies within and across sections
- Use compelling vocal delivery techniques to make your melodies shine
- Make your songs more memorable through the use of motifs and hook foreshadowing
- And much more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Songwriters, producers, and music industry professionals who are or have the goal of being involved in today’s mainstream music scene.
A solid foundation in the basic craft of songwriting and music theory is highly recommended.
We focus on Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hits.
Hit Songs Deconstructed masterclasses feature a combination of audio examples, graphs, charts, commentary, and, in some cases, Logic Pro sessions to illustrate principles and techniques.
Active listening exercises are at the core our masterclasses, so make sure you watch the masterclass with high quality audio/headphones.
- The video recording of the live 3 hour masterclass
- The PDF of the masterclass presentation deck
- A Spotify playlist with all the songs referenced during the presentation
- A proprietary step-by-step process and checklist to evaluate your melody and hooks (sold individually for $149)
You will have unlimited access to the video and masterclass materials.
Leading music programs such as Berklee College of Music, Thornton School of Music, Frost School of Music, NYU and many others are using Hit Songs Deconstructed materials in their songwriting and production curriculums.
This masterclass will give you direct access to David Penn, the person who developed the Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, and you'll have plenty of time to ask him your questions!
"I have been giving hit record analysis exercises to my students for years, but the level of depth in a single Hit Songs Deconstructed report is a full semester’s worth of information. My entire thought process as a producer, an engineer, a musician, and a songwriter are fleshed out in the pages of the HSD reports."
"Prince" Charles Alexander
Grammy-winning, multi-platinum producer, audio engineer, and recording artist and professor, Music Production and Engineering, Berklee College of Music
"The same day after attending my first workshop I was able to easily understand and fix my melody, and now my song is so much easier to sing and more memorable. Thank you Hit Songs Deconstructed!"
Chris Ishoy // ASCAP songwriter and producer
"Amazing masterclass. Spot on with the analysis and relevant to any music theory, composer, songwriter, or producer in the game now."
Dr. O // Producer
Young M.A., Chris Brown, Lil Wayne
"This is a great workshop and provides truly valuable tools. I found myself wanting to just start writing. It was inspirational."
David Boller // Songwriter/Producer
"Insight like no other into vocal melodic patterns of pop hit songs."
Pablo Arango // Songwriter
"Making hits songs consistently is not just about talent and the occasional fluke. There is a science to the art of making hit music. Hit Songs Deconstructed will equip you with tools that will allow you to make hit songs more consistently."
Lyburn Geldenhuis //
"This was one of the most thorough, well-presented and thought out masterclasses on pop writing I have ever experienced."
Jay Rodriguez //
Grammy nominated musician, film composer, producer and arranger
"This workshop teaches you how to create memorable and impressive vocal lines while still preserving your unique voice and artistry."
Artur Brisita // Songwriter
"As a songwriter and educator, I am truly impressed with the unique insight into the creation of these works. Having attended workshops, I was equally impressed with David Penn's vast knowledge. Well done HSD for providing the songwriting community with invaluable information and analysis."
-Carl Corcoran //
Songwriter/Broadcaster/Industry Consultant/Director of MA Songwriting Irish World Academy University of Limerick, Board Member Music Network Ireland