Monday & Tuesday
August 21 & 22, 2017
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT
Take a deep dive into the songwriting and production techniques being used in today's hit songs, with a special focus on Max Martin.
A Live, Virtual, Interactive Workshop
Watch this video to view excerpts from our last workshops.
If you are a songwriter, producer, creative or A&R who is serious about honing your craft, this workshop is for you.
Using the Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, you will gain insight into the what, how and why behind the songs that land in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, with a special focus on Max Martin hits.
Led by Hit Songs Deconstructed founder David Penn, the workshop will cover:
- Current Trends: The state of the mainstream music scene at the compositional level
- Hit Song Structure: The most popular song forms and why they work
- Bookending Techniques: Methods for instantly hooking the listener in and leaving them wanting more
- Post Choruses: Types, implementation, and why they’re so important
- Infectious Hooks: Types and development
- Sectional Hybrids: Maximizing impact and engagement by fusing elements from multiple sections into one over-the-top section
- Dynamic Flow: Methods for taking the listener on an exciting and engaging ride
- Genre Fusion: Creating unique and wide-reaching songs
- Hit Song Vocals: Melody, structure, production techniques and duets
- Lyrics: Themes, narrative structure and development and song titles
- Clever Elements & WOW Factors: Techniques that put songs over-the-top
By studying current hits you will stay on top of current trends and the latest writing and production techniques, and develop an instinctual approach for mainstream success.
Who will benefit from attending?
Past participants include songwriters and producers withTop 10 Hits in the US and UK, as well as A&R’s and creative executives from major record labels and publishers.
Your Registration Includes
Online workshop led by David Penn, Founder & Editor-In-Chief of Hit Songs Deconstructed.
PDF of all Workshop Materials
A one-month PRO subscription (new subscribers only). To learn what a PRO Subscription includes, click here.
The songwriting and production techniques covered will be conveyed in a practical manner through a combination of charts, graphs, notation, commentary, and of course lots of listening. Advanced knowledge of music theory is not required, however, a basic understanding of songwriting is highly recommended. At the conclusion of each segment, there will be ample time for your questions.
By attending this workshop you will further develop your critical listening skills and take your craft to the next level.