Saturday and Sunday
March 3 & 4, 2018
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT
Regular Price: $
Early Bird Price: $
Your Price: $209.25
Plus a FREE Benchmark Analysis ($99 Value)
Save 25% Off the Early Bird Rate AND
Get a complimentary Benchmark Analysis (value of $99).
Use discount code "HAPPYHOLIDAYS". Offer Expires Sunday, December 24th.
“Even though I’ve been writing professionally for over ten years, I’ve found several nuggets of gold in each presentation that have improved my writing already.”
Roy Stride, Hit Songwriter, Producer, Artist - One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer, Scouting for Girls
Watch this video to view excerpts from our last workshops.
Using Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology, we will examine Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 compositional trends and then take a deep dive into the songwriting and production techniques being utilized in the songs currently topping the charts. Case studies will include Closer, Despacito, Believer, Shape of You, Side To Side, I’m The One, and Body Like A Back Road, among many others.
This intensive workshop will be led by Hit Songs Deconstructed founder and editor-in-chief, David Penn. Past participants include songwriters and producers with Top 10 Hits in the US and UK as well as A&R’s and creative executives from major record labels and publishers.
Why attend this workshop? Most chart-topping hits, at their core, have one thing in common: they’re exceptionally well crafted and capitalize on today’s compositional trends to connect with the widest possible audience. However, that’s just one part of the equation, or else all songs would sound exactly the same! Most also possess something unique - some quality that helps them get noticed and be remembered. It’s how these unique qualities (melodies, rhythms, dynamics, etc.) are introduced throughout a song that is the recipe for success in today’s charts. By effectively blending the familiar and the unique, they stand out from the pack while still resonating with a large audience.
At the end of this workshop, you will walk away with an in-depth understanding of the songwriting and production techniques that make today's chart-topping songs so effective and develop an instinctual approach to songwriting that will allow you to channel your unique creativity in a way that is primed for commercial success.ongs that connect.
Who will benefit from attending?
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Led by Hit Songs Deconstructed founder and editor-in-chief David Penn, this workshop will cover:
- Current Trends: The state of the mainstream music scene at the compositional level
- Structure: The most popular song forms, length, tempo and keys found in Top 10 hits; techniques for maximizing engagement and memorability
- Energy & Dynamics: The three most effective first payoff impact accentuator techniques; “D” (departure) section variation techniques; methods for taking the listener on an exciting and engaging ride
- Hooking the Listener In: The most popular and effective techniques for cutting through airwave clutter and hooking the listener in. This segment spotlights narration and plugs, intro/chorus hybrids, multipart intros and more
- Lyrics: Key lyrical ingredients, sectional narrative roles, narrative structure and development
- Infectious Hooks: The five most effective in-section and cross-section hook techniques and characteristics; post chorus “hook center” multi-hook interaction
- Melody & Vocal Production: Melodic structure, rhymes, motives and the K.I.S.S. ME principle; production techniques including vocal layering, delivery types, effects and cross-sectional vocal arrangement
- Genres & Influences: Current trends and fads; fusion techniques for incorporating multiple genre, geographic and time-period influences into a single song
- Leaving the Listener Wanting More: Methods for leaving the song resonating in the listener’s head. This section spotlights sectional recycling, the “Grand Finale” outro, ending characteristics and more
- Clever Elements & WOW Factors: Techniques and characteristics that put songs over-the-top and enable them to stand out among their mainstream contemporaries
The songwriting and production techniques covered will be illustrated through case studies utilizing a combination of charts, graphs, notation, commentary, and of course lots of listening. Advanced knowledge of music theory is not required, however, a basic understanding of songwriting is highly recommended.
At the conclusion of each segment, there will be ample time for your questions.
What People Are Saying
“Awesome workshop. I have never seen hit songs broken down in such an accurate and detailed way.”
“Tons of fantastic tips and information on how to create hit songs. I learned so much!"
“You combined elements I've tried to put together through hours of studies, videos, and books into something straightforward and easy to understand."
“There is so much you don’t know that you don’t know. This workshop helps fill that gap, and that knowledge is invaluable.”
"I’ve come away with a really solid understanding of what make hits work."
“Great event. Would recommend for new and experienced writers.”
“I would recommend this to producers and songwriters who want to open their mind and improve their way of thinking."