Today’s hits are evolving faster than ever, from the songwriting and production techniques used to craft them to the genre influences and instruments shaping their sound.
A few highlights from the report include:
- During the first half of 2021, 41 songs, 41 performing artists, 158 songwriters, 77 producers and 12 record labels charted in the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10.
- Major and minor keys essentially swapped popularity in the Hot 100 Top 10, with major keys rising to 64%, up from 33% in 2020.
- Within hip hop, the under 3:00 song length range more than doubled, rising from 23% last year up to 50% during the first half of 2021.
In this fast-changing and competitive musical landscape, it’s crucial to leverage all the tools that can help you stay ahead of the curve.
This 100+ page report will get you in tune with how today’s most successful songs, and the players behind them, are evolving, including:
- Industry Trends: Trend data for artists, songwriters, producers and labels
- Top 10 Compositional Trends: An in-depth look at compositional trends for the overall Top 10
- Hip hop vs. Non-hip hop: Compositional trends specific to each
- Notable Shifts: Notable compositional shifts when compared to previous quarters
- Staying Power: The most popular compositional characteristics for songs that charted in the Top 10 for ten or more weeks
- #1 Spotlight: The most popular compositional characteristics for Q1 and Q2 2021’s #1 hits
- New Arrivals: A look at what the songs that are new to the Top 10 in Q2 2021 have in common
Whether you want to work with trends or against them, by staying in tune with today’s hit song landscape, you’ll gain critical insight that can be used to make strategic songwriting, production and business decisions.
In this competitive musical landscape, it's critical to leverage tools that can help you gain an edge for success and maximize your creative output.
Hit Songs Deconstructed helps you do just that!
Subscribe today and save 15%.
Which plan is right for you?
(To view feature description, hover over the name of the feature.)
|Hit Song Deconstructed Reports||Yes||Yes|
|Hit Song Deconstructed Videos||Yes||Yes|
|Songwriting Techniques Archive||Yes||Yes|
|Downloadable Logic Arrangements for Today’s Hits||Yes||Yes|
|Video Trend Briefs||No||Yes|
|Writing & Producing with a Hit Song Mentality Workshops (spring & fall – value of $349 each)||No||Yes|
|On Demand Access to Workshops||No||Yes|
What People Are Saying
Songwriters, composers, engineers, and producers are utilizing Hit Songs Deconstructed to:
- Hone their craft by studying proven current hits.
- Continually update their toolbox with the latest writing and production techniques being used in today’s hits as they become available.
- Understand WHY today’s hits connect with such a wide audience.
- Gain insight into how to successfully channel unique creativity into commercially viable songs.
- Develop an instinctual approach to writing songs for mainstream success.
- Make more targeted pitches to music libraries and production houses who are looking for current sounding music and/or sound-alike’s for spots.
- Give themselves an edge in a very competitive music industry.
Music industry professionals, such as publishers, labels, music libraries, production houses are using Hit Songs Deconstructed to:
- Make informed decisions in a fast-paced musical landscape.
- Stay ahead of the curve by spotting current, evolving, and waning trends.
- Supplement sales, streaming, engagement, and radio airplay data with insight into the compositional trends behind those numbers.
- Gain insight into what current hit songs have in common – and what is setting them apart.
- Identify the key ingredients that are making current chart-topping songs “tick.”
- Improve communication between creative executives / A&R’s and writers.
- Quantify gut feelings for hit songwriting trends with factual data.
- Benchmark new songs and artists against those with a proven track record.