The State of the Hot 100 Top 10: Q3 2019 Report provides an in-depth look at the compositional and industry trends for the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10.
In Q3 2019, there were 22 songs, 24 credited performing artists, 86 credited songwriters, 40 credited producers, and 8 record labels in the Top 10 of the Hot 100.
There were 10 new songs that entered the Top 10, two of which charted at number one: Senorita and Truth Hurts.
When looking exclusively at the new songs that landed in the Top 10 in Q3:
- 47% feature a hook-based intro (up from 24% in Q3 2018)
- 50% are under 3:00 in length (up from 12% in Q3 2018)
- 60% are Pop (up from 18% in Q3 2018)
- 80% feature a Love/Relationship lyrical theme (up from 29% in Q3 2018)
- Average tempo is 90 BPM (up from 83 BPM in Q3 2018)
- 50% possess a Trap influence (down from 76% in Q3 2018)
What other shifts are we seeing in the Top 10 landscape?
Next week Hit Songs Deconstructed will be releasing its quarterly trend report, The State of the Hot 100 Top 10.
To get a sneak peak of what’s to come, download this PDF with select highlights from the report!
What new songs charted in the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 in Q3 2019?