Saturdays @ 11AM ET on October 2, 16, and 30, November 13 and 20, December 11
Discover the patterns behind today’s hits and the techniques that make them shine!
Today’s hitmakers understand that
great music is made where art and science meet.
That’s why they combine their unique creativity with tried and true techniques for arranging their songs, composing earworm melodies, and writing lyrics that connect with widespread audiences.
If you want to compete at the highest levels, you need to start using them too.
Sometimes you just can’t get a song out of your head…
want to know why?
Using the Hit Songs Deconstructed methodology and an array of in-depth Hot 100 Top 10 case studies, this live, hands-on, multi-segment masterclass will get you into the hit song mindset and provide you with new tools to help you and your songs compete in today’s mainstream marketplace.
Each class will get you in tune with current trends and focus on techniques for optimizing specific aspects of your songs. Following each class, you will receive proprietary Hit Songs Deconstructed materials to help you assess your songs for strengths and weaknesses and apply the techniques learned.
This masterclass is available in two different formats:
- Work on an original song from start to finish with feedback from instructors and masterclass participants
- Attend all segments (except the final listening session) with no writing commitments or deadlines
What topics will be covered over the course of this masterclass?
- Getting into the hit song mindset and channeling your unique creativity for success in today’s marketplace
- Creating and arranging earworm melodies
- Hook writing and maximization techniques
- Writing engaging lyrics and effective rhyme schemes
- Creating an engaging & memorable arrangement and energy flow
- The key techniques used in producing, editing and mixing today’s hits, including both vocal and instrumental production
- Strategic song section optimization
- Current trends, techniques and best practices for maximizing audience connection value and engagement
- October 2nd: S.A.M. (Serving the Song, Artist, and Marketplace)
- October: 16th: Hit Song Melody and Hooks
- October 30th: Hit Song Lyrics
- November 13th: Hit Song Arrangement
- November 20th: Hit Song Production
- December 11th: Final Listening Session (for those who chose to work on an original song)
Your masterclass registration includes:
- The live masterclasses with plenty of time for your questions
- The presentation decks for each class
- Proprietary Hit Songs Deconstructed materials that will help you evaluate your songs and apply the concepts and techniques learned
- The video of each masterclass segment, which will be made available following each class
- Access to HSD-Connect, the Hit Songs Deconstructed private, invitation-only community and network, where you can connect with past and present masterclass participants.
If you are working on an original song, your registration also includes:
- Ability to post your song to the masterclass portal for feedback from fellow participants
- One private coaching session with David Penn at the halfway point to review your progress
- One group feedback session at the end of the masterclass where you will receive feedback from masterclass instructors and fellow participants
Classes are between 3 – 4 hours long.
*Dates subject to change.
Co-Founder, Hit Songs Deconstructed
David is a recognized expert in the craft and trends behind hit songs and has been featured by Billboard, Variety, Music Week, Canadian Musician Radio, BMI, Financial Times, and the Economist, to name a few. He also regularly guest lectures at top universities such as Berklee College of Music, NYU, and Frost School of Music, as well as at industry events such as Music Biz, DIY Musician Conference and others.
A music connoisseur of all time periods and genres, he is a “go-to” consultant for songwriters, producers, publishers and labels.
Special Guest Prince Charles Alexander
Grammy winning, multi-platinum music producer, mixing engineer and professor at Berklee College of Music
Prince Charles Alexander is a Grammy winning, multi-platinum music producer, mixing engineer and professor at Berklee College of Music. At Berklee, he created the Commercial Record Production minor curriculum for the Music Production and Engineering major, co-authored the Vocal Production course and authored the Commercial Vocal Production graduate course for Berklee Online. From 2005 to 2014 he also taught at NYU’s Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music.
Prince Charles’ client list includes Mary J. Blige, Sting, Destiny’s Child, Aretha Franklin, the Notorious B.I.G., J Lo and Diddy. But, his most recent successes are those of his former students, including two that are currently garnering huge success as artists in the music industry, Charlie Puth and Maggie Rogers.
Testimonials from past Inside the Hit Song Matrix masterclass participants:
“Hit Songs Deconstructed has really pushed my music to a competitive level. The instructors are at the top of their game, detailed, and cover absolutely everything that’s happening in current, charting successful music.”
“If you put in the time and work into this course, you will see the results. Music is subjective but there are patterns that result in writing hit songs. This course breaks down everything, and you get all the slides and recordings of the information so you can go back and solidify what you’ve learned. I now know when my melody is hindering my song, or when lyrics really don’t work, which elements to add to my demos, and much more. This class met my expectations and even more.
Frank V, songwriter
“After every single segment I rewrote my song paying attention to a different aspect of the song. One week just the lyrics, one week just the melody, one week just the production, etc. It gave me such a different way of looking at rewrites and what can be changed, really digging into the detail of every aspect of my song. It was a massive eye opener for me, and I highly recommend this masterclass!”
“I love HSD. I have taken many songwriting classes over the last couple years, and HSD has been the most useful course I’ve taken. The level of detail they go into when analyzing songs is incredible. They have identified the patterns and techniques behind todays hit songs and present them in a way that is accessible and practical to use in your songs.”
“The Hit Song Matrix Masterclass has been instrumental in my learning and creative processes. The knowledge given was vast yet digestible. The team was passionate, professional and dedicated to helping me understand and apply all of the material. I would HIGHLY recommend this masterclass to anyone who is serious about making music.”
Kory Fulton, singer
“Sometimes you take courses where the teachers are not approachable or don’t know how to teach. They were so kind, genuinely cared about my growth and are AMAZING teachers. If you are able to take this course do it, you won’t regret it.”
“The one-on-one interaction provided by instructors enabled me to recreate a song that I now consider to be very powerful. I recommend this course to any inspiring producer or songwriter that is serious about their craft. This is a must do masterclass!”
Reginald Wiseman, artist and songwriter
“What a class! Even as an avid student (and teacher) of theory and musical analysis, I had never seen the granular and global view to a song that Hit Songs Deconstructed presents. In a course that is part songwriting, part production, and part music theory, we dove deep, often measure by measure, line by line, or hook by hook! Equally valuable was the opportunity to workshop one of our own tunes through the course of the master class, applying the techniques that we learned from Billboard Top 100 tunes to our own works, gaining invaluable guidance directly from the HSD team. And we had a great group of fellow students to work and share ideas with, too! Highly recommended!!!”
Anthony Postman, singer/songwriter, music instructor
“The course is so packed full of useful details that I will be referring to it again and again.”
Cheryl Ostor, rock singer and songwriter
“The depth of the analysis, the techniques covered, the practical tools you provided us with, and the level of professionalism of each masterclass, amazing! I’m really honored and profoundly grateful for all I learned from you.”
Patrick Gorce, healer composer
Inside the Hit Song Matrix is for you if:
- Your goal is to compete at the highest levels and attain continued commercial success
- You want new tools to evaluate your songs’ strengths and weaknesses and help prime them for maximum impact
- You are ready to take the leap and combine your unique creativity with a little bit of science
By applying the techniques you learn during this masterclass to your music, you will take your writing and producing skills to the next level, regardless of the genre you’re working in.
Limited Seats Available
Due to the intimate nature of this masterclass,
there are limited seats available on a first-come, first-served basis.