Hit Songs Deconstructed released its Q3 Quarterly Trend Brief. This 100+ report details the compositional and industry trends for the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10.
- There were 23 songs in the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 and two #1 hits: Despacito & Look What You Made Me Do.
- After significantly surpassing Pop in Q2 with 40% of the Top 10, Hip Hop and Pop tied in Q3, accounting for 30% of songs, each.
- Hip Hop as an influence rose to a new high, influencing 78% of all songs, both within and outside of the Hip Hop/Rap primary genre.
- Men continued to dominate the Top 10 with 70% of all songs featuring exclusively male lead vocals.
- Minor keys surged in prominence
- Popularity of claps/snaps held steady, being utilized in 78% of the Top 10
- Larger songwriting teams were still by far the most prominent, with 83% of songs featuring four or more credited writers.
To download a PDF with highlights from the Quarterly Trend Brief, click here.