Hit Songs Deconstructed is an invaluable tool
providing in-depth data and analysis of the craft and trends behind today’s hit songs.
Students will benefit from:
- An understanding of how to research trends and how this information can be applied to different music industry roles, such as songwriters, producers, A&Rs, and creative executives.
- Knowledge of how to benchmark songs to identify why a song connects with a large audience, and what makes it stand out from the pack.
- Insight into the craft behind today’s hits through impartial data and in-depth analysis.
- A robust research database for projects.
- Access to resources that prepare them for the real world by looking at the songs that are most successful TODAY.
Faculty will benefit from:
- Tools to assist with class preparation.
- Easy access to examples from current hits that complement topics being covered in the classroom.
- Reports are geared toward teaching the craft driving today’s hits.
- Access to proprietary data not available anywhere else.
- Ongoing education through the Quarterly Trend Briefs. Faculty members will always be privy to the latest hit songwriting trends as they evolve.
- It’s a huge time saver!
What does an academic subscription include?
The IMMERSION Searchable Database:
Analytics You Can't Get Anywhere Else
IMMERSION is a fully interactive database housing proprietary data not available anywhere else for the the songs that land in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.
Every song in the database includes a dedicated section detailing their key compositional characteristics related to genres and influences, lead vocal, lyrics and song structure, as well as other useful information such chart position, links to lyrics, the official video and more.
In addition, the database houses industry data related to those songs, focusing on songwriters, artists, record labels, producers, and more.
This combination of compositional and industry data is unique, and our advanced search functionality allows users to create custom searches that offer an insightful and distinct perspective of the hit song landscape.
The Hit Song Deconstructed Report:
The Inner-Workings of Hit Songs
Our flagship report, it provides unparalleled insight into the inner-workings of a current chart-topping hit.
Presented through a combination of commentary, charts, graphs, and notation, these reports analyze the songwriting and production techniques that helped make the song a hit. Among the many areas covered are song structure, energy, genres and influences, instruments and accompaniment, harmony, vocal production and melody, lyrics, rhymes, narrative, Top 10 benchmarking and more.
Quarterly Trend Brief:
A snapshot of Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 Trends
At the beginning of each quarter, Hit Songs Deconstructed offers a Quarterly Trend Brief, a concise, data-driven online meeting that provides a snapshot of the compositional and industry trends for the songs that land in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.
Among the many topics covered are compositional trends such as genres, influences, instruments, tempo, key and song structure characteristics. On the industry side we cover an array of artist, writer and label trends such as chart performance (staying power, placement and prominence), single artist vs. featured artists, songwriter/artist collaborations and more.
Trend data is presented and visualized through line graphs, which show the evolution of each trend over the past year, and bar graphs, which provide a trend snapshot for the quarter. Data is also broken down by Top 10 hits, #1 hits, primary genres, and new arrival vs. carry over songs in order to further hone in on emerging trends.
What Educators Are Saying About Hit Songs Deconstructed