Join us for this inaugural, live online masterclass where we take a deep dive into the songwriting techniques behind Maroon 5’s biggest chart-topping hits since they first charted in the Top 10 in 2004.
Over the course of this masterclass, we will explore the group’s melody writing, lyric writing and arrangement techniques, spotlighting what has changed, what has stayed the same and how they’ve managed to stay current and relevant throughout their career.
- Melodic math and K.I.S.S. ME melodies (Keep It Simple, Singable and Memorable)
- Strategic hook creation and placement
- Hook foreshadowing and creative reinforcement (knowing the chorus before you hear it)
- Chorus melody-writing and arrangement
- An array of intro and outro techniques to hook the listener in and leave them wanting more
- And much more!
By attending this masterclass, you'll gain unique insight into how their songwriting has evolved over the years and come away with an array of tools and techniques that you can immediately start using to help take your songs from good to great.
Your masterclass registration includes:
- The live, three-hour masterclass with plenty of time for your questions
- The masterclass presentation deck
- Access to HSD-Connect, the Hit Songs Deconstructed private, invitation-only community and network, where you can connect with past and present masterclass participants.
- The video of the masterclass, which will be made available following the masterclass
How will you benefit from this workshop?
At the end of this workshop, you will walk away with:
- Unique insight into the lyrical patterns that shape today’s biggest hits
- A toolbox of proven techniques that will help take your lyric writing to the next level
- A new approach to your writing process that combines your unique creativity with a methodical approach to maximize the impact of your songs
- Templates of Hit Songs Deconstructed’s tried and true Narrative and Rhyme Tables that will allow you to quickly and decisively evaluate your lyrics’ strengths and weaknesses through an objective lens
Limited Seats Available
Your Masterclass Instructor
Decoding Hooks is for you if:
• You want to compete at the highest levels and attain continued commercial success
• You want new tools to evaluate your songs' strengths and weaknesses and help prime them for maximum impact
• You are ready to take the leap and combine your unique creativity with a little bit of science
By applying the techniques you learn during this masterclass to your music, you will take your writing and producing skills to the next level, regardless of the genre you’re working in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need advanced knowledge of music theory to understand what is being taught?
While a basic understanding of music is highly recommended, you do not need advanced music theory knowledge in order to attend.
What level of songwriting knowledge do I need?
A solid foundation in the basic craft of songwriting is strongly recommended.
Who is this meant for?
Songwriters, producers, instrumentalists and A&R/Music Industry Professionals who have the goal of being involved in today’s mainstream music scene.
What is the basis for the material covered?
We will focus on the songs that land in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, because they are the most successful. Examples and case studies span an array of genres.
How will the material be conveyed?
The presentation will feature a combination of audio examples, graphs, charts, and commentary to illustrate principals and techniques
Will the video of the live masterclass be available after the conclusion of the masterclass?
Yes, the video is posted to the masterclass portal after the masterclass concludes.
Will Maroon 5 be at the masterclass?
No. The masterclass will deconstruct the techniques found in Maroon 5’s hits.
What People Are Saying About Hit Songs Deconstructed Workshops