Saturday, November 20th | 11AM - 2:30PM | A Live Online Masterclass
Do you want to better understand how today's hitmakers approach song production and mixing?
If so, join us for this masterclass where we David Penn and special guest, Grammy-winning, multi-platinum producer and engineer, Prince Charles Alexander, pull back the curtain on the science and patterns behind how today’s hits are methodically produced and mixed.
In a live Pro Tools session, we’ll take a deep dive into two recent hit song case studies to explore the methodical production techniques that made them so effective. You’ll gain rare insight into the producer/engineer thought process and come away with an array of proven techniques geared to help your songs compete on the hit song stage.
This masterclass will cover:
- Selecting appropriate reverbs, delays and effects
- Balancing elements in the mix for a cohesive, professional sound
- Current production, mixing and editing techniques being used in today’s biggest hits
- Techniques for selecting and layering sounds for a full, well-rounded production
- And more!
Unlike most other masterclasses that are pre-recorded, this unique, hands-on, interactive masterclass is live, with plenty of time for your questions and discussions.
Following the workshop, you will receive proprietary Hit Songs Deconstructed materials that will help you evaluate your melodies and apply the concepts and techniques learned to your own songs.
How will you benefit from this masterclass?
You’ll walk away with:
- A new lens through which to understand how today’s hits are strategically produced and mixed to heighten the listener’s emotional connection with a song
- A toolbox of proven techniques that will help take your song production to the next level
- Unique insight into the producer/engineer mindset and the thought process that goes into making production, editing and mixing decisions
- Proprietary Hit Songs Deconstructed materials that will help you objectively assess your music and prime them for maximum impact.
Decoding Hit Song Production is for you if:
- You want to compete at the highest levels and attain continued commercial success
- You want new tools to evaluate your songs’ strengths and weaknesses and help prime them for maximum impact
- You are ready to take the leap and combine your unique creativity with a little bit of science
Your masterclass registration includes:
- The live masterclass with plenty of time for your questions
- The masterclass presentation deck
- Access to HSD-Connect, the Hit Songs Deconstructed private, invitation-only community and network, where you can connect with past and present masterclass participants.
- The video of the masterclass, which will be made available following the masterclass
What knowledge of songwriting and music theory do I need to understand what is being taught?
A solid foundation in the basic craft of songwriting and music theory is highly recommended.
Who is this meant for?
Songwriters, producers, instrumentalists and A&R/Music Industry Professionals who have the goal of being involved in today’s mainstream music scene.
What is the basis for the material covered?
We will focus on recent Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hits.
How will the material be conveyed?
The presentation will feature a combination of audio examples, graphs, charts, commentary, and Logic Pro sessions to illustrate principals and techniques
Will the video of the live masterclass be available after the conclusion of the masterclass?
Yes, the video is posted to the masterclass portal after the masterclass concludes.
Testimonials from Past Masterclass Participants
Your Masterclass Instructors
Guest Speaker: Prince Charles Alexander
Grammy winning, multi-platinum music producer, mixing engineer and professor at Berklee College of Music
Prince Charles Alexander is a Grammy winning, multi-platinum music producer, mixing engineer and professor at Berklee College of Music. At Berklee, he created the Commercial Record Production minor curriculum for the Music Production and Engineering major, co-authored the Vocal Production course and authored the Commercial Vocal Production graduate course for Berklee Online. From 2005 to 2014 he also taught at NYU’s Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music.
Prince Charles’ client list includes Mary J. Blige, Sting, Destiny’s Child, Aretha Franklin, the Notorious BIG, J Lo and Diddy. But, his most recent successes are those of his former students, including two that are currently garnering huge success as artists in the music industry, Charlie Puth and Maggie Rogers.
Co-Founder, Hit Songs Deconstructed
David is a recognized expert in the craft and trends behind hit songs and has been featured by Billboard, Variety, Music Week, Canadian Musician Radio, BMI, Financial Times, and the Economist, to name a few. He also regularly guest lectures at top universities such as Berklee College of Music, NYU, and Frost School of Music, as well as at industry events such as Music Biz, DIY Musician Conference and others.
A music connoisseur of all time periods and genres, he is a “go-to” consultant for songwriters, producers, publishers and labels.
Decoding Hooks is for you if:
• You want to compete at the highest levels and attain continued commercial success
• You want new tools to evaluate your songs' strengths and weaknesses and help prime them for maximum impact
• You are ready to take the leap and combine your unique creativity with a little bit of science
By applying the techniques you learn during this masterclass to your music, you will take your writing and producing skills to the next level, regardless of the genre you’re working in.
Decoding Hit Song Arrangement is a prerequisite for this masterclass. To register for both masterclasses, click below.