Hit Songs Deconstructed offers flexible and highly discounted yearly licenses.
Hit Songs Deconstructed is an invaluable tool providing in-depth data and analysis of the craft and trends behind today’s hit songs. While other online resources focus on sales, radio airplay, streams and engagement, Hit Songs Deconstructed is the only resource that focuses on the songs themselves.
Students will benefit from:
- An in-depth look at the craft behind today’s hits through analysis of the songwriting and production techniques being used in chart-topping.
- Insight into current hit songwriting trends as they evolve.
- Access to a robust hit songwriting research database providing data and analytics for hit songs at the compositional level, as well as artists, songwriters, producers and record labels.
- Hit Songs Deconstructed gives students an edge for commercial success in today’s music industry by focusing on the here and now.
Faculty will benefit from:
- Tools to assist with class preparation.
- Easy access to examples from current hits that complement topics being covered in the classroom.
- Access to proprietary data not available anywhere else.
- Reports are geared toward teaching the craft and trends driving today’s hits.
- Our Quarterly Trend Brief serves as ongoing education for faculty members.
What is Hit Songs Deconstructed?
Hit Songs Deconstructed is the only online resource for analytics and in-depth analysis of hit songs at the compositional level.
Our reports, videos, and workshops take a deep dive into the inner-workings of hit songs, highlighting the songwriting and production techniques that made these songs so effective. Our robust searchable database provides the industry with valuable trend data and analytics to quantify gut feelings with factual data and benchmark new songs against hits with a proven track record.
Songwriters, producers, and music industry professionals around the world use Hit Songs Deconstructed to supplement their craft, inspiration, and intuition for an edge in this very competitive musical landscape.
Why Hit Songs Deconstructed?
Our IMMERSION database is a robust research and discovery tool for students who are working on their own projects.
Academic subscriptions include unlimited use by faculty and students and the rights to use Hit Song Deconstructed in the classroom.
The Hit Song Deconstructed Report
Our flagship report, it provides an unparalleled deep dive into the inner-workings of a current chart-topping hit, and leaves no stone unturned. Presented in a practical manner through a combination of charts, graphs, notation and commentary, the reader comes away with a full understanding of the what, how and why behind how the hit was written and produced and gains a wealth of songwriting and production techniques to add to their toolbox. Among the many areas covered are song structure, energy, genres and influences, instruments and accompaniment, harmony, vocal production and melody, lyrics, rhymes, narrative, Top 10 benchmarking and more. Readers can study the entire report, or hone in on one particular area of interest, such as vocal melody, across multiple reports. Each report also features a companion downloadable Logic PRO X Project with the correct meter, tempo and song arrangement displayed as empty MIDI regions for each instrument.
Hit Song Deconstructed Videos
These videos take you on a section-by-section walkthrough – from intro to outro – of the songwriting and production techniques used to craft a chart-topping hit.
Videos are led by Hit Songs Deconstructed co-founder, David Penn, they are approximately one hour long, and each section is visualized with its arrangement in Logic Pro X.
The Hit Songs Deconstructed IMMERSION Database
- Industry Trend Searches: Find out what degree of success record labels, artists and songwriters are having quarter to quarter and what songs they account for.
- Compositional Trend Searches: Look for compositional trends across the Top 10 or for #1 Hits. Filter by genre, artist or songwriter.
- Trend Comparisons: Compare genres, influences, song structure characteristics, lyrical themes, tempo, key and much more across performing artists, songwriters, record labels, top 10 hits and #1 hits.
- Staying Power: Search for how many weeks a song, performing artist, songwriter, record label, primary genre, or lead vocal gender spent in the Top 10 or at #1 during a specific time period.
- Song Search: Search for a specific song to view its compositional characteristics, label, writers, artists, chart information, and more.
- Performing Artist/Songwriter Searches/Record Label Searches: Search for songs by a specific songwriter, recording artist or label and filter by peak chart position, genre and more.
- Form Search: Search for songs using a specific form or with a specific first and/or last section.
- Power Search: With over 200 searchable criteria, search for songs with very specific compositional characteristics, such as lyrical themes, vocals, influences, instruments, song structure characteristics and more.
- Review data for individual songs: Every song in the database has a dedicated page detailing the compositional characteristics, chart information, artists, songwriters, record labels and more. Every field is clickable to find like songs.
The Quarterly Trend Report
Published on a quarterly basis, this report delivers a concise, data-driven snapshot of Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 compositional and industry trends.
Among the many topics covered are compositional trends such as genres, influences, instruments, tempo, key and song structure characteristics. On the industry side, we cover an array of artist, writer and label trends such as chart performance (staying power, placement, and prominence), single artist vs. featured artists, songwriter/artist collaborations and more.
Berklee Professor Prince Charles Alexander on Hit Songs Deconstructed
In this video, three-time Grammy Award winner and Berklee Professor Prince Charles Alexander explains why Hit Songs Deconstructed is a valuable resource to the Berklee contemporary music program and how it can be used in the classroom.
What People Say About us