HIT SONGS DECONSTRUCTED IN THE CLASSROOM
Hit Songs Deconstructed Reports
Hit Songs Deconstructed Reports take a deep dive into the latest hit songwriting and production techniques, characteristics and trends. These exceptionally comprehensive reports feature a combination of impartial data and insightful analysis, providing readers with an in-depth understanding of the craft and trends shaping today's chart-topping hits.
Hit Songs Deconstructed Immersion Database
The ultimate hit songwriting and production research tool, Immersion is the Hit Songs Deconstructed searchable database. This robust database offers over 200 criteria enabling highly customizable and comparative searches based on compositional characteristics, production techniques and more. Every song housed in the database includes a one-page deconstruction detailing key compositional characteristics.
WHAT IS HIT SONGS DECONSTRUCTED?
THE HIT SONG DECONSTRUCTED REPORTS
Hit Songs Deconstructed Reports complement materials and topics being covered in classes by providing:
- In-depth analysis of songs currently topping the charts
- Evolving hit songwriting trends
- The latest techniques that producers and writers are using
- Reference material such as charts, graphs, notation, lyrics and diagrams
The Hit Songs Deconstructed Report
A deep dive into the what, how and why behind a current chart-topping hit.
Top 10 Trends
Analysis of Hit songwriting trends for songs that land in the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10, quarter by quarter, over the period of one year.
Top 10 Hits Deconstructed Report
An in-depth look of the specific techniques utilized to craft all the songs that land within the Billboard Hot 100 each quarter.
Top 10 Genre
A comprehensive overview of the characteristics and trends that define each genre represented in the Hot 100 top 10 each quarter.
THE HIT SONGS DECONSTRUCTED IMMERSION DATABASE
With over 200 criteria for highly customized searches, faculty and students can easily:
- Find songs that possess specific characteristics, such as genre, sub-genres, tempo, key, length, instrumentation and more.
- Search for songs based on structure characteristics, such as form, first section and/or last section.
- Compare hit song qualities across record labels, artists, songwriters, and more, to better understand the mainstream music landscape.
- Immerse themselves in hits written or co-written by a particular songwriter to familiarize themselves with their techniques.
BOTH FACULTY AND STUDENTS WILL BENEFIT:
Hit Songs Deconstructed provides faculty and students with resources that can complement materials and topics being covered in the classroom:
- It’s a time-saving resource. Faculty and students will save hours of research time by gaining access to our reports and the Immersion database.
- Each song is meticulously deconstructed by a Hit Songs Deconstructed analyst. We do not use computer generated algorithms.
- Unlike other databases that focus on sales or radio air play, we provide data and analysis on the compositional characteristics of the songs themselves.
- Our reports provide an in-depth understanding of the trends and craft behind today’s hits through a combination of impartial data and insightful analysis.
- Our IMMERSION database is a robust research and discovery tool for students who are working on their own projects.
- It keeps you current in a fast changing musical landscape and in tune with the most modern musical vocabulary and production techniques.
Academic subscriptions include unlimited use by faculty and students and the rights to use Hit Song Deconstructed in the classroom.
To watch a video about Hit Songs Deconstructed in the classroom, click here.
BERKLEE PROFESSOR PRINCE CHARLES ALEXANDER ON HIT SONGS DECONSTRUCTED
In this video, three-time Grammy Award winner and Berklee Professor Prince Charles Alexander explains why Hit Songs Deconstructed is a valuable resource to the Berklee contemporary music program and how it can be used in the classroom.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
Songwriter w/50 million album sales / top-selling author, Billboard Books
"It's an amazing tool—and one I highly recommend to my students and collaborators throughout the world."
Prince Charles Alexander
Grammy Award-Winning Producer, Audio Engineer, Recording Artist and Professor, Music Production and Engineering, Berklee College of Music
"It is such a great tool that I’m showcasing it in live forums at Berklee College of Music and looking forward to integrating it into the songwriting and music production curriculums."
Middle Tennessee State University Professor, Award-Winning Hit Songwriter
"Hit Songs Deconstructed is a great teaching tool and an extremely valuable resource for my songwriting students. We’ve made it an integral part of the songwriting curriculum at MTSU."
Director of the Blair Songwriting Program at Vanderbilt University
"Hit Songs Deconstructed is an astonishingly thorough look at contemporary hits. The site takes a comprehensive look at both lyrics and music, and is an extraordinary tool for anyone interested in understanding and absorbing what makes commercial songs successful."
Serafin F. Sanchez
The Art Institute of Colorado
"In my advanced music theory course at AiC we have a week dedicated to form and song analysis. Hit Songs Deconstructed was the perfect culmination of all the concepts that we discussed."